Moisture Control Services (MCS) has a proven track record to solve your mould problem so it does not return. If MCS cannot detect the source(s) of your mould problem we do not charge for the inspection. When it comes to mould (mold) MCS has the expertise to perform professional mould inspection/assessment, restoration/remediation to your apartment, unit, home, house, property, building to your total satisfaction. Call MCS to discuss your mould issue so we can determine the best option to meet your needs.
Mould work commences with a telephone call where the client explains the situation at hand and requests if we can assist. MCS will ask the client sufficient information to provide us with a good idea of the classification, PPE required, sampling strategy (if pre-requested), equipment required, etc.
Determine grade of mould damage
Normal conditions, no mould damage. Surface samples return very low to non-detectable traces of fungi. Fungi detected indoor originates from outdoors.
Small area of visible mould. Less than 1 square metre in area. Spot cleaning and minor mitigation required.
Serious mould damage over a period of time. Visible mould growth clearly visible on less than 25% of all surfaces or not greater than 10sqm. Usually found in situations where there has been excessive moisture that has been trapped or generated indoors for an extended period of time. Building materials and contents may have sustained more than surface damage with some penetrating moisture and mould growth. Mould remediation required by trained technicians.
Severe mould damage affecting structural integrity of building materials such as wall and ceiling linings. Visible mould growth occurs on greater than 25% or more than 10sqm of interior surfaces. Structural materials most likely have high moisture content and require specific drying. Mould remediation and structural repair by trained personnel required.
MCS will ask the client:-
- If mould is visible, the location of the contamination, size and how long has it been present?
- Any water ingress issue that has occurred?
- If no visible mould, why does the client think there is a mould issue (odour)?
- Is the property tenanted (MCS prefers to talk with the occupant to understand how the dwelling is been used)?
- MCS would organise with the client a suitable time to attend and understand in advance if this issue is presently restricted to those who need to know (mainly applicable to commercial jobs).
Depending upon your circumstance MCS will obtain the following data:-
- External review of the property (slope of land, surrounding buildings, shading, drainage, type and pitch of roof etc.).
- Property details (unit / townhouse – common walls, single or two storey, concrete slab/on stumps – crawl space, facing direction of the property etc.).
- Obtain information from the property occupant in relation to the mould and general use of the dwelling.
- Using a Hygrometer to test temperature and relative/specific humidity.
- Assess areas for moisture using a non-penetrating moisture meter for water ingress/condensation.
- Thermal imaging to help locate elevated moisture.
- Detailed inspection of rooms affected (building structure/contents) which can include disengaging the carpet.
- Review exhaust vents and inside the HVAC units.
- If visible mould, determine best means for treatment.
- Inspect inside the wall (if possible/applicable) with a borescope.
- Conduct surface and/or air sampling.
- Take photographs throughout the inspection.
Report of findings
MCS will provide a report of findings including, level of contamination, information gathered during the inspection, cause of mould, correction action to avoid ongoing mould, scope of works, quote including clearance report (additional sampling to prove decontamination has been successful) and general health guidelines.
Certain work may need to occur before remediation can commence and this would be clearly explained in our report. It should be understood where applicable that repairs to building material due to remediation work is not included in MCS quote.